market-farming - Re: Record keeping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Record keeping
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:16:38 -0800

I do everything with Excel. With this software, you can have many
worksheets (spreadsheets) within one file. The different sheets are
shown as tabs at the bottom of your screen. Just click on the sheet you
want to see/add data to, and that spreadsheet is displayed. With a
little thought, all your data can be kept track of, running totals for
bunches, bags, 6-paks, pounds, etc. can be kept, overall sales for each
market or each season can be shown. For those of us who are organic or
who participate in a state-run certified market program, this data must
be reported at the end of the year. It's handy for doing your taxes,
too. Also for ordering seed, predicting sales from week to week or year
to year, on and on. Keeping good records will help you in the long run,
as you can see what you are making money on, what you are growing just
to provide variety at the market, and what you are losing money on.