market-farming - Re: An Informed Discussion of GMOs:

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Tetrad <garlicgr AT pond.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: An Informed Discussion of GMOs:
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:31:02 -0500

Lawrence wrote:

>Do us all a favor and stop giving Avery publicity in this mailing
>list.

Hmm, I thought I had done a fairly through job of showing what a blowhard he
is. The event happened, I was asked to write an article about it and as he
is presented in such a positive light in the traditional media, I thought it
was important to expose him for the "act" that the audience felt he was.

Avery's already lost credibility in PA for saying that only organic farmers
use manure -- here in PA (land of dairy cows!), *everyone* who has access to
the stuff uses it and always has. If his credibility can be chipped even
further by folks asking, what all of us at the conference felt was the
*primary* question -- "How can this man claim to be a "critic" of organic
agriculture if he has publically declared he knows nothing about two of the
major "schools" (BioIntensive and Permaculture)?"

I think it's important that folks like us (who actually practice what we
preach) challenge the popular media when they present us with an "expert"
who is nothing of the sort. And we can't do that unless we know what was
said where and are able to formulate intelligent, pointed questions in
response.

Just my thoughts. . .

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of