market-farming - Re: Lowering pH

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lowering pH
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:53:13 -0400

Hello Charlie, My vegetable co-op's biggest export customer is the Virgin
Islands
area so I probably should not try to help you :-) its common to inject acids
into
irrigation water to lower Ph and just 5 minutes after receiving your note I
came
across one such product in a trade paper called "N-pHuric", by Prodica LLC in
Brea
Calif this product is less than 1 pH, such products are not earthworm
friendly
but you decide, you can get past the iron and zinc deficiencies with foliar
fertilizers, check your water supply and have it buffered to a proper level,
I had
40 acres of limestone soil with a pH of 8 and OM of 4% that was the most
productive land I ever owned until they built an interstate highway on it, I
had
soils tested yearly and had fertilizers custom blended to over come zinc and
iron
def., I banded acidifing fertilizers like diammonium phosphate to create a
small
low pH zone along each row and it worked out very well
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.