market-farming - Re: Winter Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Winter Lettuce
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 09:48:49 -0400

Winter lettuce/ spinach which do you mean?,It depends on the climate in your
area around
here in south Jersey there is about 5000 acres of winter spinach being seeded
now for
harvest in the spring the crop overwinters quite well. There are also many
fields of leaf
type lettuce just comming up seeded like spinach on raised beds on 12" wide
rows that are
now being covered with row covers for protection there are lots of fields
just seeded to
mustard greens, leeks and parsley too, many folks around here seed lettuce
and endive in
unheated greenhouses around December 1 to plant by late Feb to early March
so don't give
up because its too cold.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.