market-farming - Re: optimistic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: optimistic
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:05:21 -0400

Liz Pike wrote:

> Robert, how much is too much when you have enough for a produce auction??
> (meaning how much is required to be sold--does one farmer supply one
> supermarket, or does the supermarket bid on several smaller amounts to get
> the total they need??)This is an excellent idea I wish were copied in my
> area--what a boon for market farmers!
>
> Liz Pike
> Morningstar Gardens
> Pollocksville NC
> ICQ 46954468

> with message text containing: subscribe market-farming

Our auction is the largest of its kind in the USA, its been well
established over the last 40 years, there are hundreds of farmers who
deliver quanties of anywere of 10-1000 crates a day and loads are
combined to make trailer loads by the produce brokers to fill orders for
supermarkets, our success is due to are ability to fill the orders from
local production, every thing must be fresh picked and auctioned off the
same day, if for some reason the load dosn't match the quality of the
sample the farmer will never stand a chance to sell next time.
This auction was built after the breakup of Seabrook Farms that had a
30000 acre farm and frozen food empire, the land was divided into small
farms that remain today, the frozen food plant still is part of the
local economy, most farms are 100 acres or so but divided into small
blocks of 1/2 acre for shallots or radicchio to 10 acres or more for
green onions, eggplant and bell peppers our biggest crops.
There are many auctions that have poped up in the last 10 years in south
and eastern PA. that are still small scale but growing fast...
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ...