market-farming - HELP!!-Poppies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal AT iname.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: HELP!!-Poppies
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:53:54

Dear List Members,

I recently had to move a large bed of Poppies due to (eek!) termites. The
weather wasn't too hot, it was cloudy and rained a few times after
transplanting, two days of light, intermittant rain, one day of heavy rain
followed by mild, sunny weather.

Just today, the blooms are falling and the foliage is turning yellow. Any
suggestions? Soil system and nutrient analysis has proven to be the same
in the old bed and the new bed.

We have had some very strange weather this year (thanks for that info on
Weather Changes, Lawrence), a mild fall and winter, basically drought, then
a wet, cool spring (the mold was terrific! Had to replant my starts).

When the foliage died down last fall, I cut it back as usual, but then had
a re-growth of green foliage that has lasted throughout the winter, until
today. The weather, today, is hot and dry with cooler temps and more rain
forecast for Friday through Sunday.

I could also use some help regarding lightening the soil from the old Poppy
bed. I'm going to use it for a kitchen door herb/greens garden and the
soil is too heavy. I bought a 50# bag of white sand to lighten the soil
but I'm not sure of the percentage of sand to soil I should use.

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate your input.

Blessings,
Ava