market-farming - Re: HELP!!-Poppies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dawn M. Ripley" <ripley AT iglou.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: HELP!!-Poppies
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:03:59 -0400

>I could also use some help regarding lightening the soil from the old Poppy
>bed. I'm going to use it for a kitchen door herb/greens garden and the
>soil is too heavy. I bought a 50# bag of white sand to lighten the soil
>but I'm not sure of the percentage of sand to soil I should use.
>
>Thanks, everyone, I appreciate your input.
>
>Blessings,
>Ava

YIKES, Ava! You would have to use the sand in a 1:1 ratio, existing soil to
sand, to achieve your goal without making concrete. According to the good
folks at Rodale (forgive my having forgotten the exact reference at the
moment), you would have to add 5-6 TONS of sand to a 20 x 30 bed to
accomplish anything other than concrete.

You'd be much better off adding compost or other organic matter, assuming
that you're trying to lighten clay. Just what kind of soil do you have?

Hope this helps,

Dawn