market-farming - Fwd: United States Department of Agriculture

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Fwd: United States Department of Agriculture
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:48:56 PDT

From: Ava Devenport (essenheal AT iname.com)
Subject: United States Department of Agriculture
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:28:06 -0500

Special topics, including Community Food Projects Competitive Grants
Application Deadline is June 29, 2000

http://www.usda.gov/

Title: United States Department of Agriculture

Normal Trade Relations With China
What's at Stake?

State-by-state and commodity fact sheets provided by USDA Foreign Agriculture Service economists.

For State-by-state
Commodity fact sheets
For Import Regulations and Standards

For Previous Features

For Video Highlights

Ag in the Classroom

Animal Dealer Registration

Biotechnology

Budget Summary

Census 2000

Civil Rights Resources

Commitment to Progress

Community Food Security Initiative

Conflict Resolution

Consent Decree

Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee

Ethics Office

Expanding Trade with China

Food Safety

Gardening

Importing/Exporting Animals

Meat Product Recalls

National Organic Program

Promoting Good Nutrition

Roadless Initiatives

Strengthening the Farm Safety Net

Sustainable Development/Small Farm

USDA Celebrates the Millennium

USDA /1890 National Scholars Program

USDAforKids

Community Food Projects Competitive Grants
Application deadline is June 29, 2000.
The Federal Agriculture Improvement and Reform Act of 1996 established new authority for a program of Federal grants to support the development of community food projects designed to meet the food needs of low-income people; increase the self-reliance of communities in providing for their own food needs; and promote comprehensive responses to local food, farm, and nutrition issues.

Recipes and Tips for Healthy, Thrifty Meals
The essence of nutrition guidance is to provide the public with the best information available to assist them in making wise and nutritious food choices to sustain life and good health. We hope that you will find the recipes and other information provided in this book useful.

USDA's Environmental and Conservation Accomplishments
USDA is the country's largest conservation agency. In addition to managing nearly 192 million acres in the National Forests, USDA encourages voluntary efforts to protect soil, water and wildlife on the 70 percent of America's lands that are in private hands.

Rural Community Development Initiative
Housing Preservation Grants Application deadline is June 15, 2000.$6 million for community and economic development.

Multi-Family Housing Grants & Loans
Farm Labor Housing Application deadline in June 19, 2000. $20 million for loans, $9 million for grants.

Food Assistance & Nutrition Research Grants and Agreements
Application deadline is May 25 and May 26.

National Organic Program Accepting Comments
Comments about the revised proposed rule for USDA's National Organic Program are now being accepted.

Celebrating Century Farms
Farms in one family during the last century.

National Nutrition Summit

National Nutrition Summit, May 30-31, 2000 at Omni Shoreham Hotel, Washington, DC
This Summit, jointly sponsored by USDA and DHHS, will address progress and continuing challenges since the highly successful White House Conference on Food, Nutrition, and Health, held in 1969. Among the issues that will receive careful attention from a broad selection of the public and private sectors involved in nutrition and health will be: the continuing problem of hunger; the dramatic increase in the prevalence of overweight and obesity; and the role of nutrition and physical activity in health promotion and chronic disease prevention.

For Information

Vice President Gore Announces Protection of 2.5 Million Acres of Environmentally Sensitive Farmland
WASHINGTON, DC May 19, 2000--Vice President Al Gore today announced that the U. S. Department of Agriculture will enroll approximately 2.5 million acres of environmentally sensitive farmland into the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP). The program encourages farmers and ranchers to voluntarily adopt long-term conservation practices.

For more information
Additional CRP Information

USDA Announces $1.3 Million Grant to Protect Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay
WASHINGTON, DC May 18, 2000--Agriculture Secretary Dan Glickman today announced a $1.3 million grant that will improve the land and waters of the Potomac River and enhance the overall ecosystem health of the Chesapeake Bay.

For more information.

M/A USDA To Launch Thermometer Education Campaign

M/A Public Schedule Secretary of Agriculture Dan Glickman

USDA Announces $1.3 Million Grant to Protect Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay

Glickman Announces Funding to Combat Invasive Species

Glickman Names New Member to Mushroom Council

[Latest Releases] [All USDA Releases]

United States Department of Agriculture:
| Home | Welcome to USDA | Newsroom | What's New |Agencies, Services & Programs |
| USDA Offices | Subject | Search | Privacy Policy | Nondiscrimination Statement | FOIA |

The old USDA Home Page

Comments, Questions to vic.powell AT usda.gov