market-farming - Lots of Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Chris Labeots" <CLABEOTS AT baraboo.k12.wi.us>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Lots of Garlic
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:51:48 -0500

My garlic looks great and it looks as though I will be having a bountiful
harvest this year. I have softneck and elephant. In the past 4 years I have
increased my planting slightly each year and have sold out each yr at our
farmers market. This yr I really upped the anty. I increased my planting to
10 x the '99 level . Now I am hoping everything will sell. I have one
resturant lined up , besides. I would like to hear suggestions on other
markets, just in case.

Last summer someone asked if walla walla onions would overwinter in a harsh
climate , and be ready for planting next spring. I got curious so I planted
some seeds late , and they made it through as seedlings here in WI. I
replanted them with correct spacing this spring and they look great. I also
had Mars onions survive.

  • Lots of Garlic, Chris Labeots, 05/16/2000