market-farming - Re: roadside stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom Anslow" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: roadside stands
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:30:05 -0400

Liz -- We have a small stand which is mostly open (now). It is
basically a 10'x12' walk-in cooler, next to a 10'x10' 'room', and a 12'
awning with a concrete pad running along the front lengthwise (22'x30').
Unrefrigerated produce is placed into the 'room' overnight where we also
have a work table for sorting & 'quarting up' some items. It also stores
paper, cardboard, baskets, etc (cramped).

On very hot days, when the wind is blowing from the back (against the cooler
& room), we often use a large box fan for a breeze.

No other grocery items as of yet.

Have made few changes since buying farm and stand four years ago. Have been
considering many changes for quite some time.

Stand needs new roof (have 10' 4"x4"s holding the metal down)

Very labor intensive moving produce in/out of 'room' every day. Considering
putting in a 16' & 14' roll up garage doors in front and 8' roll up doors on
each side. Roll up doors will leave more open space versus sliders (easier
to see that you are open and provide more light). Also have thought it
would almost be cheaper, easier, and smarter to just put up a 30'x40' pole
barn with roll-up doors and relocate walk-in into space.

Two issues with changes: 1) money; 2) not sure how customers would react
going from run-down stand to turning into 'new' glitzy market. I have had
many regulars tell me that they stop here, instead of another much bigger
market nearby, because they know I am the little guy on the highway. The
farm & stand have at least a 30 year history prior to my purchase.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Port Clinton, Ohio