market-farming - roadside stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: roadside stands
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 19:16:28 -0400

Ran into several market farmers today--finally in a different county.
Checked out their stands. One was totally enclosed, air conditioned, and
sold a few other grocery items--basics--milk, bread. 3 were open, with
enclosed portions on the back of the stand. 2 of those regretted their
decision to close in formerly open stands as it curtailed traffic stopping
by--the darkness repelled customers?? The 4 open stands were very busy, and
enjoyed repeat customers (eavesdropped on conversations).

I've not built my stand yet, and this all gave me alot to think about.

How many of you have roadside stands?
Are they open or enclosed?
Are they air conditioned?
Do you sell other grocery items? (basics--milk, bread, etc)
Have you made changes to your stand that increased or decreased business?

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC
ICQ 46954468