market-farming - Re: Radishes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sandy Dovala <ddovala AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Radishes
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 13:15:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lucy and Peter, Thanks for responding to my radish questions. Here
in Northern Ohio I have found when I had radishes in my garden there
were other pests from above that attacked my radishes. As a member of
the crucifer family, radishes are attacked by the same pests which
attack cabbages and cauliflowers. Major pests include cabbage white
butterfly, aphids and diamondback moth. Other pests of crucifers will
cause damage from time to time. I found that the cover completely
protected the radishes, but I have never had experience with them in
such heat. We have found that row covers will increase the heat in the
field about 5 degrees, so it is important to be careful with heat
sensitive crops, ever have misshapen strawberries, after using a row
cover?-It got too hot under the cover-you can bet on it. Thanks so
much for the input, I find it so helpful to read peoples posts.

=====
PEACE.
Sandy Dovala
http://www.afamilyfarm.com/