market-farming - Re: Radishes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Radishes
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 07:22:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 8 May 2000 05:09:37 -0700 (PDT), market farming wrote:

> I have planted radishes this year for the first time. I placed an old
> row cover (thin but not torn) over the field for insect protection. It
> has turned an unseasonable 85 degrees this past week and I am now
> concerned that it is too hot under the cover for the radishes, but I
> don't want to take it off to allow insect infestation. Thanks for any
advice.

> =====
> PEACE.
> Sandy Dovala
> http://www.afamilyfarm.com/
>
> Sandy,

We have radishes under row cover and have had temps the past 7 days or so
above 80F. The radishes are doing fine though getting a bit hot. About the
only insect that will bother them from the air are flea beetles. Sow bugs
will eat the roots and covers won't help much there.

If you are still worried remove the covers and put up with less than perfect
greens but nice roots.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH
Website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/boulderbeltcsa
Organic Farming and Gardening Forum:
http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/mbs.cgi/mb135705
Want Social Change? Join a CSA!

  • Radishes, Sandy Dovala, 05/08/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Radishes, Lucy Goodman-Owsley, 05/08/2000
    • Re: Radishes, Peter Worsley, 05/08/2000
    • Re: Radishes, Sandy Dovala, 05/09/2000