market-farming - Re: college ag program competes with farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HMSTDFRMS AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: college ag program competes with farmers
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 17:20:53 EDT

Julie,
Interesting that just last week I had this discussion with the advisor of the
student run sustainable farm at Cornell University. My daughter happened to
be there for an interview and asked if the garden produce was sold at the
local farmer's market. He explained that they absolutely do not compete with
local growers for all of the reasons you have mentioned. They do provide
produce for the dining halls and I believe sell to some of the student
population. In the fall when they have an apple harvest to sell, he said they
price bushels of apples at an inflated price so that they do not undersell
local orchards.
Linda
Homestead Farms