market-farming - Re: I need help with my slips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Gary and Sarah Rowland" <hcf AT moment.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I need help with my slips
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:43:08 -0500

Sweet potatoes love hot weather and moisture. The slip refers to pulling on
the shoots sent up from the potato. The sweet potato is covered with about
half an inch of soil. As sprouts reach the 10 -12 inch size use one hand to
anchor the potato and the other to pull the slips. Plant up to the 6-8
inches deep. Given moist soil you can make cuttings for your vine. Just be
sure to include at least one node underground for the roots. Depending on
the variety it will take 90 to 120 days to reach harvest. If you start
early you can continue to make cuttings from the rooted slips. The original
sweet potato will continue to produce slips. They should be harvested
before frost.
Gary Rowland Hairston Creek Farm----- Original Message -----