market-farming - I need help with my slips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Leslie Griffith" <lgriffith AT kchomecare.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: I need help with my slips
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:44:17 -0500

HA -- got your attention, I hope.

I have been given sweet potatoes from a co-worker's grandma -- a family
heirloom from Nebraska. My handy dandy growing guide told me how to get it
rooted, which I have done (and a lovely plant it is too).

The guide then instructs me to plant slips from it. Am I to assume that a
slip is a slice of the potato including both roots and leaves?

If not, what do I do?

If so, how careful do I need to be when I slice? I didn't think to root the
potato sideways, so the roots are all coming out of the bottom of the point
of the potato which will make it hard to slice apart and get a bit of root
with each slice.

Help, please?

Thanks in advance, Les