market-farming - Re: succession planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: succession planting
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:21:01 -0400

Tillage is all of the above,Cover crops I till shallow at 2-4" deep with
a 60" Howard rotavator to build a good biologically active zone for two
weeks then this is deep plowed with moldboard, if they get away from me
I bush hog them flush to ground until I can get back to them then disc
and plow, around here most everybody uses raised beds except me, I find
them too herbicide dependent, most my stuff is on single or narrow
double rows, tool cultivated,I devote about 16 acres to vegetables,
there are about 500 small, mostly full time, farms under 100 acres
commercially marketing in my county.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Lawrence F. London, Jr