market-farming - Re: succession planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: succession planting
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:51:28 -0400

May I add another thing, after 27 years of trying to master sucession
planting my best plans almost always fail at some point due to weather
and degree day accumulation, I have seen my 90 day corn ready in 60 days
in a 100F* season, the reverse is heat delay common on leafie greens and
premature bolting on lettuce and poor fruit set on peppers, its not
uncommon for me to plow up unharvested acres because of two or more
stages comming together or a glut in the market, and when I find a
variety that works the seed producer will discontinue it, I use up alot
of land and labor finding varieties that fit my growing needs, there is
so much the books and charts cannot tell you that you must learn for
yourself but one thing that has always worked for me is my gained
experence and the ability to minimize risk, take the good advise of the
other posters and remember sucession planting is as much an art as a
science...
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.