market-farming - Re: seed varieties (was succession planting)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal AT iname.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: seed varieties (was succession planting)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:11:45

I too have had the same problems with seed being discontinued, but I began
saving seed from my crop a long time ago. I have plants from seed my
grandmother had given me over 30 years ago.

I have no problems with open-pollination as long as there are bees around.
I always make sure to put out Bee Balm (Monarda), asclepias and butterfly
bush to name a few. Also, if you find a local bee keeper who needs
additional hives, you may get him to bring some hives out to your field.
The bees do need water and sustenance, and seem to thrive when there are
some herbs strewn about such as Borage and Hyssop.

As for heirloom varieties, that's all I plant. True, they are not as
'pretty' as hybrids, but the flavor! Once you try them, you'll overlook
the bumps and mishappen shapes you sometimes get, just to get that
sensational taste.

Blessings,
Ava