market-farming - BC-Canada Regulations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hugh Jordan" <hjordan AT direct.ca>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: BC-Canada Regulations
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:48:46 -0700

Hi

I apologize if this is too far OT, but I am somewhat frustrated.

I am planning a small diversified farm in British Columbia Canada. I am
having a very difficult trying to sort out regulations between Federal and
Provincial Governments and the various marketing boards. My plan is to raise
pasture based poultry, beef, meat lambs and goats. Wherever possible I want
to farm process and direct market. I hope someone can direct me, or give me
some clues. My experience with bureaucrats is that you better have a clue as
to the answers before you ask the questions if you want useful answers.

1 Poultry-Can one raise and process meat birds on the farm. If so is there a
limit on numbers? If not, can I have them processed, and still directly
market them.

2 Goat and sheep cheese-I recognize that the milk boards have a stranglehold
on cow milk production. Are there production limits for goat and sheep milk.
What kind of regulations are involved in producing cheese and direct
marketing it from a farm. Where do I find the regs

3 Can beef, goat and lamb slaughter be done on a very limited basis on a
farm or does it all have to be done at an accredited slaughter facility. If
done off the farm, can it be still direct marketed.

Everything that I have been able to find on the net is aimed away from
direct marketing. The marketing board sites say nothing. Even if I could
find what federal and provincial acts I can request, it would be a big help.
It seems like the last thing available is straight answers

Hugh Jordan

  • BC-Canada Regulations, Hugh Jordan, 04/10/2000