market-farming - Re: supplies for micro-cannery

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William E. Barry" <unclebil AT bright.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: supplies for micro-cannery
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 07:06:55 -0400

Sandy,

It took us nine months to comply.  And we already had a building to start with.  First requirement is that you have a building separate from your house. Next get on the net and look up at the government archives 21 CFR 108, 110,113, 114.  Then call your state for info and if you get the help we did, go to your state site and look up their cannery regulations.  Then for building sanitation and construction guidelines go to government site for 1999 Food Code.  By the way to have these regs at your fingertips it will take about 1-2 reams of paper and 2-3  5" notebooks.
After studying all this and making sure you comply, you must still take and pass a BPCS course at a local land grant college...cost is about $500/person  and room & board for a week if it isn't near you.
Then you must acquire a processing authority to approve and test all your recipes.
If you are determined it can be done but all the way through this process we were told "there is no way you will be approved." l
If you need any more details, contact us direct at unclebil AT bright.net.

good luck.
Linda Barry