market-farming - Re: row covers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Molly Petersons <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: row covers
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:41:36 -0800

I've had the best luck with polybags filled with those rocks. I didn't
need in the soil anyway ( as suggested by another writer) and with 3-4 ft
rebar. The bags do deteriorate over a season. I've also used gallon pots
with the same rocks. Pots spill over, bags shred but the two together work
fairly well. At the end of the season we put the rocks in the driveway.
The rebar has one disadvantage-if you don't keep track of it, it can get
lost in the soil, and when your tiller finds it, you may damage the tiller.
If you're lucky, just removing the twisted metal is a major chore. I've
spray painted the rebar-that helps. I've tied plastic flags in neon colors
to it, and that helps too. Blue is the least obnoxious color that is
usually visible in soil and among weeds.