market-farming - Re: row covers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: row covers
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 08:11:10 -0700

Nancy Haycock wrote:

> I am trying to decide what to order to hold down row covers. (.55
> weight). There just seem to be two alternatives -- metal staples 6
> inches long, that I thought might rip the covers; or recycled plastic
> tacks, also 6 inches long. The tacks are only sold in quantities of 300
> and are expensive, but they do seem as if they might be more suitable.
> Does anyone have experience with either the tacks or the staples?
> Second, in a fairly windy valley, will these staples/tacks hold .55
> covers? I see my investment blowing off down the road...
> Thanks.
> Nancy

Windy? Point Reyes California is one of the windiest places in the US. I
use u-shaped wire staples I make myself from a roll of #10 wire I bought
5 years ago. I use the wire to make hoops, over which I drape rowcover,
and when the hoops start to rust, I cut them up into pieces about 12
inches long, and make the staples from them. If you double over the
rowcover at it's edges and pierce through the doubled up edges with both
legs of the staples, the rowcover will not blow away. Good luck- Peter