market-farming - RE: How can micro-farming possibly be as productive as claimed?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: How can micro-farming possibly be as productive as claimed?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:22:38 -0500

> I further assert that about 40 hours weekly is sufficient to manage a well
> designed micro-farm, which is another challenge to the credibility of
>small farmers who are expecting to give 80 hour work-weeks for more than
>half of
> the year.

I was under the mistaken impression that farming is a lifestyle--not
something to fit in the neat, 40 hour work week profile promoted by
corporate America. Does this mean my work isn't credible because I
spend 65-70 hours a week working during warm weather?? (During
winter I'm lucky to manage 20--it all evens out.) Should the
critters who ravage my crops or livestock wait to appear during those
40 hours?? And of course, those 40 hours fall neatly during daytime
hours, right??

Have you put any of these hypotheses to the test?? I'm seriously
interested--skeptical, but interested. On 2 acres, how can you
provide for recuperation of your land & resources??

I may spend more time farming--but compared to the 40 hour
workers--who must spend time at the gym (my farm is my gym), and
drive everywhere/anywhere to work/eat--my time doesn't look that
outrageous. Plus, it's downright fun ; )))

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC

  • RE: How can micro-farming possibly be as productive as claimed?, Liz Pike, 03/23/2000