market-farming - gypsy moths/parasitoids

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: gypsy moths/parasitoids
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:16:12 EST

I had great success against gypsy moths a few years ago --

Throughout the winter, I kept the meat-eating birds happy and numerous in my trees by hanging balls of suet mixed with peanut butter and hamburger.

Because there were so many hungry meat-eaters in the trees, not one moth larva survived to adulthood.

Even my weeping birches -- a favorite among local bugs -- are still alive and well.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove

Intentional Community with local and long-distance members
Chemical-free fruits, vegetables, herbs, and flowers
Dairy and pack and draft goats
Free-range chickens, ducks, and geese
Affordable housing cooperative
Regional farmer's marketing cooperative
Partnerships
Dried herbs and American-grown Black Tea by mail-order