market-farming - RE: Microgreens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT Hart.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Microgreens
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:06:33 -0600

> ----------
> From: Adriana Gutierrez[SMTP:gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com]
> Is anybody growing microgreens? If so would you care to share the
> how-tos?
> I assume that the process is different from baby mesclun greens,
> otherwise
> the labor would be prohibitive.

We do not grow them, but there is a gentleman in Jeffersonville Indiana who
does that we have heard speak (Bob Holman). He uses tobacco float trays,
very small cells, fills the trays with a very light media, sows the seed
very thickly on the top of the media and puts the trays into float beds.
The seeds germinate and grow. Depending upon the type of green, he harvests
when it is the size the chefs prefer. Harvests by taking out of the cell
and washing off the media with a strong stream of water - I would probably
try to cut them, but apparently his chefs prefer the roots on (and maybe all
chefs do). The main problem he has growing in the winter (he uses a heated
greenhouse) is keeping the water warm enough to stimulate growth. I know
this isn't very detailed, but it may give you some idea how to proceed.

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
Smiths Grove, KY
http://www.aunaturelfarm.homestead.com

  • RE: Microgreens, Wiediger, Alison, 03/22/2000