market-farming - small private plots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andy Lee & Pat Foreman" <goodearth AT rockbridge.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: small private plots
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:25:14 -0500

> Subject: Small private plots
> From: "Tom Anslow" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 06:20:15 -0500
>
> Hello --
>
> Has anyone leased out small plots, to locals without the garden space, to
> make a little extra money? Appreciate any input (size, dollars, duties,
> responsibilities, feasibility). Thanks!
>
> Tom Anslow
> Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market

Hi Tom, 12 years ago I operated a private "community garden" on about 2
acres. There were close to 100 plots, and each person paid $30 per plot. the
plot size was 20- x 20-feet, separated by wide lanes, so they could drive to
the plot with heavy bags, then park their car in the parking lot. Some
people rented more than one plot, and rented the same space from year to
year. About half the site was garden plots, the other half was grassed
lanes, and gravel parking lot. There was a small shed by the parking lot for
people to put out extra produce either for free or for sale. As far as I
know the project is still operating, you can find out more by contacting
Codman Community Farm in Lincoln, Massachusetts.

The idea is very workable, and very well received in the community. If I
were doing it today, I would raise the price to at least $50 per plot.

Another project I helped develop, on a larger scale, is in Burlington,
Vermont. We rented 20 acres of farmland that was owned by the city. We
divided it into 1/2 acre plots and rented them out to beginning market
gardeners. We called it the Burlington Small Farm Incubator. Some of the
farmers have gone on to purchase or rent more land for larger market
gardening and farming projects. You can get more information by contacting
the Intervale Foundation, Burlington, Vermont, or Gardener's Supply Company,
Burlington, Vermont.

regards,

Andy Lee