market-farming - Re: Small private plots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Small private plots
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:33:55 -0800

Tom, I have not done this we run a CSA. But I got thinking about it, the
only ones I am familiar with are community type ones. We grew in one when
we lived in an apartment and I think it was free (on apartment property).
Just from reading here and there I think most rents do not exceed about $20
for the entire summer. Some do have requirements as to size and imputs etc.
So of course now the math is, at $20 a plot 10 people is only $200 and 20
people is only $400 and this is for the entire summer. If you just want the
activity and the land used no problem if you thought you'd pay a few bills
well not too many. Also keep in mind everyone in gunho in the spring and by
autumn a few (hopely only a few) will have gone to weeds.
Plus while the income for 20 families is not that much think of all the time
and people that will be on farm, will you have open door policy or only
week-ends?
Extra income sell them the seedlings and imputs.
After 2 years of a CSA and all the work that goes into it I tend to look at
each new addition or niche as to money in and labor out how does it compare?
Of course you should add in enjoyment of the project as well. Good Good
luck Beth

> Has anyone leased out small plots, to locals without the garden space, to
> make a little extra money? Appreciate any input (size, dollars, duties,
> responsibilities, feasibility). Thanks!
>
> Tom Anslow
> Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: guldann AT ix.netcom.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')