market-farming - Re: "Micro-Greens"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: wytze <geno AT zap.a2000.nl>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "Micro-Greens"
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 19:07:07 +0100

This sounds very much like sprouting and growing seedlings. They are grown on
trays on
just one or two inches of soil. My experience is most with wheatgrass and
sunflowers and
buckwheat seedlings. Other options are radish, broccoli and of course alfalfa.
The idea is to sprout the first for two days and than plant them in the soil
which you
keep covered for two days so the sprouts can adapt in the dark. Than you take
off the
cover and let them grow in the light for 7 days. Two times a day spray water.
The soil mix
I use is certified organic compostsoil. After the "harvest" you can compost
the soil. If
you get 100 people for 10 days I would recommend also to use just sprouts.
Wheatsprouts
can be used in several salads. I once ran a restaurant and I had one great
hit salad,
called "Jerusalem Salad" here's the recipe:
Raw Spinachleaves
lentil/pea sprouts
tomato's
(feta-cheese, oranges or other ingredients can be added optional and by own
choice)
dressing:
50%yoghurt
50%mayonaise
add fresh garlic
The good thing is it's easy to make, relatively cheap and very nutritious
wytze