market-farming - Re: Ailsa Craig Onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Chris Labeots" <CLABEOTS AT baraboo.k12.wi.us>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ailsa Craig Onions
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 11:34:22 -0600

Be sure to contact the company you purchased the seed from . They need to
know, and they may already know that that Lot# was bad. This same thing
happened to me 3 yrs ago with white spanish onion from Jordan Seeds. They
were contacted and already knew from other contacts that it was bad seed.

>>> Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com> 03/03/00 11:15AM >>>
This is our first time growing these onions from seed but not our first time
growing onions from seed. We are getting really bad germination, about 10%.
Are these known for low germination? We have Copra that were started the
same evening in the same soil mix and the trays are side by side and those
have great germination (about 90%). Wallas Walla and Bennie's red had normal
rates as well.

Seeds started in mini soil blocks with the Eliot Coleman soil recipe-peat
compost and sand. pH was 6.95. Seeds had plastic sheets on them for starting
and were in a cool room. This has worked for all the pother onions and
leeks.

Frustrated.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA