market-farming - Re: Bt corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bt corn
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 07:16:18 -0500

Liz,
I'll comment from my "personal" opinion only! I do have some Farmers using
it because they were somewhat "forced" by the seed salesman. Therefore, it
will be my job as their "Consultant" to provide them with the best resources
(and cost-effective) to optimize their crop production. The concerns that
Ihave are: (1) The BT corn does not have as high a sugar level content in it
during growth which will directly affect it for silage because the Lactic
Acid Bacteria feed on sugars. Therefore, less sugars, less proper
fermentation for the silage. (2) Most Farmers in my area do not have severe
enough corn borer problems to warrant using a BT corn. Thus, they could be
strengthing the very insects they are trying to control and actually create
problems that they never had before. (3) When you breed something in, you
take something else out. So, what has been taken out? Lower sugar content,
how about Hardiness during stressful times of growth?

Again, these are just my personal thoughts. I like to control insects and
even weeds, to some extent, through soil and plant nutrition. There is
still a lot we need to learn. Like you, Liz, we do need new technologies.
But, as Farmers, Gardeners, and Market Growers, it is up to all of us to
decide what technologies will and will not fit into our businesses.

Peg Cook
Cook's Consulting

pegcook AT northnet.org