market-farming - Re: Bt corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: wytze <geno AT zap.a2000.nl>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bt corn
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 10:51:16 +0100

Hi,
I have been involved in the GE debate since 1995. My own background is
sprouting of
organic seeds, grains and legumes. Hence, I started to look into GE to see
whether I would
use it. However, apart from the safety question, I see absolutely no way how
I could
consider this technology to fit in organic principles. The use of synthetic
geneconstructs in which all kind of prokaryote and eukaryote genes have been
"glued"
together has nothing to do with organic. So, even if they would be safe, I do
not see how
they could have a place in organic agriculture.
Wytze de Lange