market-farming - Re: Reference books to develop a better understanding of soil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reference books to develop a better understanding of soil
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 16:35:37 -0500

Hugh,
I have a program that I have developed called "Common Sense Crop Production"
which was developed for the FARMER. It is directed to the Farmer to teach
him what to look for in his soil tests and how to put that into practical
application in HIS fields. When I know a Farmer does grazing, I also
include some reference materials for him to look over. The "Common Sense
Crop Production" program also includes a handout on Understanding Your Soil
Test Results, a soil sample kit, how to take a soil sample, a soil sampling
calendar, a Grazier's Guide (a seed and general fertilizer reference guide),
a Weed Directory of Soil Conditions, and a Field Crop Calendar for recording
field inputs, yields and rainfall. The program cost $25.00 plus $3.95
shipping and handling.

For the Market Farmer, I am in the process of completing a program called
"Common Sense Market Garden Production". This is going to be a program
similar to the Crop Production program but get into more specific in dealing
with trace elements for cash value crops. This program will cost $25.00
plus $3.95 shipping and handling. If you are interested in it and would
like to reserve a copy when its completed, send me a private email and I
will put you on the list. I'm hoping to have it completed by the end of
March. (Keep in mind that good things come slow! My Husband has been
telling me that for 27 years!).

Hugh, if I can help you with any other information, please let me know. I
was the Grazing Advocate for a year in 1998 and covered a 7 county area. I
collected a lot of materials, mainly on dairy production, but, I have plenty
on soils and grasses as well. By the way, are you might want to think about
subscribing to the grazersedge list. The list is centered around USA
grazing and dairy is a biggie but sheep and poultry are also quite active on
the list. If you want to view the list the site is at
grazersedge AT onelist.com.

Hope this helps,

Peg Cook, Agronomist
Cook's Consulting