market-farming - Re: Reference books to develop a better understanding of soil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelley Pasco" <whistle AT halcyon.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Reference books to develop a better understanding of soil
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 12:43:03 -0800

Hi Hugh,
I'm no expert, but I have two books you might be interested in. The best one
is "Fertility Pastures and Cover Crops" by Newman Turner. It was written for
dairymen, but the content applies to any pasture. It was printed in 1955,
then reprinted by Bargyla & gilver Rateaver, who are notable authors of
other organic farming publications. I got mine several years ago directly
from them, and I don't know if this address is still good, but you can try:
Bargyla Rateaver
9049 Covina St., San Diego, CA 92126. (619) 566-8994. (I would assume the
area code has changed since then though).

Also, I've got "The Pasture Book" by WR Thompson. It's an antique from
1949, and I got mine from Robert Gear in MA, a dealer of rare and
out-of-print farming books. His number is (413) 337-4844. For $1 he'll send
you a catalog. I've bought a number of excellent pre-WWII farm books from
him.

Good luck
Shelley Pasco
Whistling Train Farm