market-farming - USDA poultry facility

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andy Lee & Pat Foreman" <goodearth AT rockbridge.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: USDA poultry facility
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 07:40:25 -0500

> Any Lee,
>
> So how many birds do you excpect to process monthly, or whatever?
>
> Do you mind sharing what you expect it to cost you to build this facility
> and
> to process the birds?
>
> C. Van Milligen

We are building the facility to handle 400 broilers per morning, with 5
people on the line, and the dressed birds placed on ice. Two people will
return in the afternoon to vacuum bag, seal, weigh and label the broilers
and put them in the walk in cooler. We will operate year round.

Depending on building type, contractor hired, equipment choices, it can run
upwards of $100,000 to build one of these plants. Mine will cost about
$40,000 for self-built building and used and homemade equipment. I estimate
it will cost about $2.50 per broiler for amortizing capital costs and labor.

Andy Lee

  • USDA poultry facility, Andy Lee & Pat Foreman, 02/25/2000