market-farming - Re: A lurker taking the plunge with compost question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: cappy AT harborside.com
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Bitbybit <bitbybit AT eoni.com>
  • Subject: Re: A lurker taking the plunge with compost question
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:36:01 -0800

Quoting Bitbybit <bitbybit AT eoni.com>:

> Thanks for all the useful info that comes through
this forum.( Yes, I do
> learn from and enjoy the personal stories.)
> I have a 167 acre farm near La Grande, Ore. I have a
130 chickens from
> which I am selling farm fresh eggs. They have huge
runs and I supplement
> their diet with all the raked up alfalfa and hay for
the horses and cows
> and goats. Plus excess milk from the cow etc. I have
been studying the
> pastured poultry thing. Since I'm on a major highway
to recreational
> area, I'm planning a market garden also.
> Needless to say, I have a lot of manure around. Does
anyone think it
> would be worthwhile to build a big compost bin and
fill it with the
> manure from the various animals, age it, then sell it?
> Thanks,
> Shirley
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as:
cappy AT harborside.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')

Hi Shirley,

Sounds like you've got a great place with great plans.

Interesting concept - why not "go" for it. Look at
what zoos have been doing for years - Zoo Do. Sells
like hot cakes.

Met a delightful couple in Sequim, Washington with a
llama farm. They have a pasture vac (started the
project initially to clean the pastures easily) that
also grinds the llama poop into a fine mixture - looks
a bit like coffee groups.

Word spread and gardeners are coming out to the farm to
buy it by the bagful for their flower beds.

I just heard about a company in Canada with a very
innovative package with awhimsical design - compost tea
bags. Great marketing idea. I'm researching more about
them.

Could be a good vehicle for community involvement -
(lots of mileage for news releases) like a horse barn
here on the coast. A local Boy Scout troop bags up
seasoned horse poop and sells it at $2.00 a bag. I
just bought some and put it out in the garden.
No ordor at all. They also sell it by the pickup full.

Sounds like a great idea.

Good luck,

Cappy Tosetti
Gleneden Beach, Oregon