market-farming - Re: Onions, hor and sweet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Onions, hor and sweet
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:05:33 -0800

Liz Pike said,

>Has anyone found this to be true of other crops?? I know I can tell a
>difference between carrots grown in my own different beds, and Vidalia
>onions do not taste the same grown out of Georgia.

Allium sp. are particularly sensitive to soil sulfur. Their aromatic
properties come from sulfur bonded peptides. Genetically, WallaWalla,
Vidalia, Maui and other short-season "sweet" onions have less of these
compounds. Long season, storage onions, have more. garlics have similar
things going on.

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm
Auburn, CA

  • Re: Onions, hor and sweet, Marcie Rosenzweig, 02/22/2000