market-farming - Warning: slightly chatty--Re: women and small market gardens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Warning: slightly chatty--Re: women and small market gardens
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:38:53 -0500

I hope this doesn't alienate our male posters--enjoy this thread if
you're so inclined. I almost posted this privately, but other
posters, of either gender, may be interested. If not, please do not
comment--nuts and bolts of family farming are very important--but may
have nothing to do with the machinery or actual planting! Families
are the future for small ag & every bit of help is needed on all
fronts.

Yes, I do all the work on our farm except the tractor work--which is
rarely needed since I use permanent beds. Only after I've begged &
pleaded does it get done. So I've learned how far in advance to ask,
knowing it will be ready when I need it ; ))).

I get up at 5am during pre/postharvest (4 am during July-August--at
which time I'm in the garden by 5), get my computer work out of the
way and am in the garden by 7am. Work until 12, lunch & quick swim,
then homeschooling through the hot afternoon (we school year round,
taking a month off in spring & fall so I can plant). Supper is in
several crockpots, bread in bread maker, and girls make a salad,
while I work in garden from 5-9 or later depending on how long my
truck headlights can hold out!! Those kitchen tools are my
servants--and I work them hard. I work 6 days a week--and really
must force myself to not visit the garden on Sundays--a little weed
here, a bug there, and I've used a whole day my girls needed from me
to have fun & relax! I am very organized, and methodical which is a
must to keep on top of everything.

I had 7 100'x4' beds, intensively planted, grew everything from seed,
and did all planting, transplanting, seeding, harvesting, prep &
farmer's market selling by myself. Plus 1/2 acre of sunflowers. This
year I've expanded that to 2 acres. Next year, after my sabbatical, I
will have 11 of these beds--the max I can handle myself, and will have
3 acres of sunflowers.

I work alone, and will not expand if I must hire help. I've worked
long enough with employees to prefer the solititude of my own company.

My children are not as young as yours, Sue, and you will have your
hands full, but they are a joy to garden with!! My dds, 12 & 7, are
my best salesmen!! They carry the same passion I do for this work and
can sell the oink from a pig! They've met the most wonderful people
of all walks in life, have learned more science than I ever imagined,
learned the value of good nutrition, proper handling of money, and
have become grounded in what really matters.

I completely understand that antsy feeling. I feel I never start soon
enough, haven't planted enough, didn't plant the right variety,
ordered from wrong source, paid too much, paid too little, weeded too
soon, weeded too late, pulled the wrong "weed", should have irrigated,
shouldn't have irrigated, etc, etc. I guess I'm addicted to this
ultimate game of poker--farming! And I'm determined to win!!

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC
ICQ 46954468

  • Warning: slightly chatty--Re: women and small market gardens, Elizabeth Pike, 02/22/2000