market-farming - RE: green manures again

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT Hart.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: green manures again
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:50:25 -0600

We use hairy vetch as a winter annual in conjunction with our cereal rye
cover crop. That is the only way we have used it. However, at Kentucky
State U's research farm several years ago, they mowed a cover crop of hairy
vetch and transplanted tomatoes directly into it. The farm manager said the
fields looked a little messy as the vetch did regrow a little, but the
production was terrific. I have toyed with the idea of planting potatoes
directly into a mown vetch mulch - supposed to confuse the Colorado Potato
Beetle, but that's another experiment we haven't had time to try. We like
it - just don't let it go to seed. If you do, you'll always have it. You
might look at Steve Groff's website for some terrific ideas on growing
veggies with cover crops/mulch :

http://www.cedarmeadowfarm.com/
Cedar Meadow Farm

Alison Wiediger