market-farming - Re: Cut flowers:flower food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: flowers AT rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers)
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cut flowers:flower food
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:55:26 -0700 (MST)

pretty simple formulae for flower food:

sugar (~`5%);an acidifying agent ;now mostly vitamin C ie. ascorbic acid
and a bacteriocide ie. chlorox or other.

most cut flowers that we grow do respond favorably to 'flower ' food
increasing vase life 7 to 10 days
some flowers are not viable product w/o a sugar solution

for bulk use in the field we make our own; but do give packets of ff to
customers at market
sunflowers will give better vase life if a bit of detergent is added to
the first water they are placed in after cutting

water quality is also an issue in determining vase life as is clenliness of
buckets ,as is removal of field heat,cultivar selection

>Chris,
>
>I apologize for not responding sooner--another death in the
>family--makes 3 for me in 2 weeks--1999 was a horror and 2000 doesn't
>look too good either. Oh well, can't get anymore optimistic than
>being a farmer! Anyway...
>
>I do not use preservatives at all, and neither does my flower growing
>friend who supports herself with her flowers. I figure she knows
>best! The general garden varieties I grow may not be affected much
>from them anyway. And my sunflowers--my staple--do not show any
>difference when one is used. I experimented quite a bit with them and
>decided the effort wasn't profitable.
>
>Just what is in the preservatives--anyone know??
>
>Liz Pike
>Morningstar Gardens
>Pollocksville NC
>ICQ 46954468
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: flowers AT rt66.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')

Martin Connaughton
Wilderness Flowers
223 North Guadalupe St. pmb # 159
Santa Fe, NM 87501
zone 3-4-5 depending on mother nature .. zone 5 this year and no snow

5059898337 office/home
5057578337 farm april/november
5059203421 cell

  • Re: Cut flowers:flower food, Wilderness Flowers, 02/22/2000