market-farming - Re: Oversowing...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Oversowing...
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:38:54 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Rose & Fred Lieberman <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2000 10:06 PM
Subject: Oversowing...

Rose;
I've always heard what you describe as undersowing. I do some here on our
farm. I plant white clover under large brassicas, like broccoli,
cauliflower and cabbage. I plant buckwheat in and around peas,
vetch sometimes with corn, medic mix (if it's looks like a dry year) around
carrots. I plant cilantro among carrots also (makes for longer harvesting,
but fools the carrot rust fly) and use other various "crops" to repel, or
enhance insects.
Nothing competes as long as you are aware of the growth habits of each
variety and you plant to compliment. I've read on the list of people using
other undersowing techniques they've found to work quite well.
Hope this makes sense
Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation WA