market-farming - Re: hairy vetch and tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lee Lawton <llami AT teleport.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hairy vetch and tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:25:49 -0800

> Is your hoop house anything like the covered rows illustrated in the
> pic at this URL - if so where are elastic holddowns like these
> available?
>
> http://www.hort.vt.edu/faculty/welbaum/pictures/8-13.html

No, this year I am growing solanums in a 20x96 open-ended hoop house with
retractable sides. The sides roll up just like greenhouse sides: galvanized
pipe anchors the roll-up sides.

I've grown in low hoop houses (cloches) in the past 3 years. Getting older,
so bending so much doesn't agree. I formed hoops with concrete reinforcing
wire, 6 mil plastic and 1x2 lumber screwed together for the weighted sides.
I know you're looking for those elastic tie-downs. Has anyone looked at RV
supply places? Seems like I've seen nice tie-downs in places like that. Like
extra-long bungie cords, yes?

Sorry, Larry!

Lee Lawton
Over the Rainbow Farm