market-farming - hairy vetch and tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lee Lawton <llami AT teleport.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: hairy vetch and tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:56:39 -0800

I read a study last year about the use of hairy vetch as a green manure with
tomatoes. I believe the vetch was planted ahead of the tomatoes, mowed down,
tilled in and then the tomatoes were transplanted into the area. One of the
conclusions of the study was that hairy vetch was one of the best green
manures to use with tomatoes. Sorry, I don't remember where I read the
article.

I've been intrigued with the idea I learned about here of using green
manures concurrently with growing crops, and since I am a no-till grower,
I'm wondering about using hairy vetch or another green manure with tomatoes
and other solanums. Is the vetch too big to let grow all summer? What else
might be good? I'll be growing in a hoop house with retractable sides.

Thanks,

Lee