market-farming - Re: growing cut flowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: growing cut flowers
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 07:06:55 -0600

rcirclefarm wrote:

> I would like to grow cut flowers for farm fresh bouquets. I would like to
> start small this year and expand if need be next season. I would like to
> start with easy to grow varieties. I am thinking maybe zinnias, marigolds,
> asters. What about carnations? Any others?

Zinnias are usually easy to grow and fairly trouble free. Some of the
pollenless sunflower varieties are pretty popular. Carnations are my
very favorite flower but they are a perennial and I imagine would be a
lot of work to grow in quantity - they tend to fall over if you don't
provide them some support, etc., and they won't be ready for cutting the
first season (at least none I've ever grown were).

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant