market-farming - Harvesting basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dean Mullis <demullis AT InfoAve.Net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Harvesting basil
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 02:14:23 -0500

I grow Italian large leaf basil and the way we now harvest it is to gather
the top of the
basil plants in my hand and then whack off the top with a sharp lettuce knife
and throw it
in the box. I do this in the evening before market before there is a dew.
This variety
responds well to this treatment for me and it is quick. I grow it in 50"
flat beds with
either 2 or 3 rows/bed. I bag it at the market in quart freezer bags (not
zip-locks) ,
roll a cuff down on the bag, and have a puffy bunch of basil showing. I sell
it by the bag
for $2/bag with a bag weighing approx. 4 ounces. $8/lb.

  • Harvesting basil, Dean Mullis, 02/11/2000