market-farming - Re: Basil tips, was Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana Gutierrez" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Basil tips, was Re: Market niches-harvesting herbs
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:23:6

> For large quantities, we found that growing for a single harvest and
> replanting (using 1-2 week old transplants) was the most economical.
Paula, I found myself thinking about that option today as I harvested my
basil. It certainly would produce a beautiful, uniform product.

> able to produce 15-20# in a 4'x8' grow bed on a rotational basis every
> four-five weeks (transplant to harvest, depending on temperatures).
How old are your transplants when you transfer them to your beds? What
type of spacing do you use?

> 12-18" range -- all tender growth and ready for harvesting. Wholesalers and
> restaurants generally use the entire plant (soft stem and all) in their
> pestos, keeping the small top shoots for decorative touches.
I was talking to an aquaponic grower today who, in a former life grew basil
from clones which he selected to provide the shortest internodal length,
therefore the best yield.