market-farming - Strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose & Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Strawberries
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:53:49 -0800

Hi, folks. Rose in upstate NY, Zone 5.

I'm growing strawberries this year, for the first time, to give us enough
for home and to add to our "menu" at the farmers markets, along with our
cutflowers and veggies.

If anyone would like to share what they know about strawberries, I'd really
appreciate it...

1. growing
2. maintenance and disease and pest management
3. harvesting
4. selling and pricing
5. what's productivity like (I know it varies by a gazillion factors,
but what's ballpark? 1 pint per 5 plants, 10 plants, 2 plants...)

From what I know as appropriate for my area, I have to go with an early
season cultivar to get harvest timed around the tarnished plant bug's
activity. Has anyone grown Earliglow or Northeaster?

Thanks,

Rose