market-farming - Re: Strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Strawberries
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 09:25:54 -0600

Rose & Fred Lieberman wrote:

> Hi, folks. Rose in upstate NY, Zone 5.
>
> I'm growing strawberries this year, for the first time, to give us enough
> for home and to add to our "menu" at the farmers markets, along with our
> cutflowers and veggies.
>
> If anyone would like to share what they know about strawberries, I'd really
> appreciate it...

I've grown Honeyoye and I think it was Tri-Star (a day-neutral
variety). Honeyoye is the best strawberry I've ever tasted - the SECOND
year. Neither variety were any good the first year. You're supposed to
snip off blossoms and runners the first year to "concentrate growth in
the plant's roots" (I was told).

Well of course I had to see for myself. There was no noticeable effect
on plant growth (between pinched and unpinched plants) but the berries
were sour and watery. I was very disappointed, and then the following
Spring very surprised at the taste difference.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant

  • Strawberries, Rose & Fred Lieberman, 02/09/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Strawberries, Sojourner, 02/09/2000
    • Re: Strawberries, Don Palmer, 02/09/2000