market-farming - New member intro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cheri Shelnutt <cshel AT usit.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: New member intro
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 21:37:52 -0500

Hi,

My name is Cheri and I live in NE Tennessee. We have been handed the
opportunity to take over a subscription farm. We have a small family
farm (45 acres). A woman in town has had a very successful subscription
farm for 5 years. She is moving to NC this spring and has offered us
her clients. She has 45! I think this is a marvelous opportunity but
am shaking in my boots. I know that we can not start with such a large
number. My husband works full time off the farm but would like to
eventually be able to farm full time. I have done limited gardening for
our family and loved it (sq. ft. method/raised beds) but never large
scale. I have read Andy Lees books, and Bob Gregson's Rebirth of the
Small Family Farm (both these guys are terrific writers and they are
wonderful books!!) Right now I am reading an old copy of Rodale's How
To Grow Vegetables And Fruits By The Organic Method.

After lurking here for about a week, I feel totally unqualified for this
- I know little about soil, pests, etc. We have only had problems with
grasshoppers and japanese beetles and the occasional cutworm or tomato
worm. The knowledge that all of you possess is incredible! We have been
using chicken tractors (thanks Andy!) through the garden since October.

I am desperate for information. I am thinking we should start with 10
families and take names for a waiting list or to call if we have an
abundance of produce. I am at a loss as to how to plant for large
numbers of people.

Can you recommend any other books? How do you figure ratio of how much
to plant vs. how many people you are growing for?

I am so thankful for this list. I am also thankful the volume has
dropped dramatically this last day or so :) The information has been
wonderful! So much to learn; soil quality/ammendments, composting,
marketing etc. I am feeling just a little overwhelmed!!

Thanks so much,

Cheri

  • New member intro, Cheri Shelnutt, 02/07/2000