market-farming - RE: Electric netting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andy Lee & Pat Foreman" <goodearth AT rockbridge.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Electric netting
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:42:54 -0500

> Mine are all over the place. I love 'em. The manufacturers lie, they
> cannot be moved by one person in just ten minutes, at least not when a
> curious goat herd is tagging along getting tangled in loose fence whenever
> they can. But still I love my electric net fences.
>
> I find them to be environmentally sensible too -- I use rechargeable D cell
> batteries in a "Wasp" charger for my moveable fences.
>
> Dori Green
> Ash Grove Community Farm
> Corning, NY

Dori, thanks for the tip on the Wasp charger. Where can I buy them, and what
sort of ground rod are you using? Are you familiar with Premier's new
Intellishock fence charger that has a built in ground rod? Have you used
one? I'd like to try one but they are quite expensive.

Also, we use the feed bucket decoy when we move goats and poulry. Just put
the feed bucket where you want them to be and when they swarm on it you can
move the fence around them. Works well for goats, pigs, bulls, chickens, and
sometimes turkeys.

Thanks

Andy Lee